[JNV] Save Aminatou Haidar - Peace News Winter Gathering - Support Joe Glenton - Remember Gaza

Justice Not Vengeance info at j-n-v.org
Fri, 11 Dec 2009 23:26:08 +0000

0) Save Aminatou Haidar, on hunger strike for Western Sahara
1) 15-17 January Peace News Winter Gathering
2) Support Joe Glenton
3) Remember Gaza actions
4) Climate Camp London

Dear friends

We would be very grateful if you could take two minutes to send an
email to the Moroccan authorities to help to preserve the life of
Aminatou Haidar, known as the 'Sahrawi Gandhi' for her nonviolent
struggle for the independence of her people (see below).

Otherwise, we hope this round-up of upcoming activities is useful. We
will shortly be posting an account of the November Northwood Die-in
trial on the JNV site.

Season's greetings to everyone.

Maya Evans
Emily Johns
Milan Rai
Justice Not Vengeance

-----

0) Save Aminatou

THE SAHRAWI GANDHI
ON HUNGER STRIKE FOR WESTERN SAHARA

Aminatou Haidar is on the 26th day of her hunger strike in Lanzarote
airport, Spain, campaigning for her right to return to the land of her
birth, Western Sahara, which has been illegally occupied by Morocco
since 1975.

On 15 November, Aminatou, an award-winning human rights activist, had
her passport confiscated and was deported from Morocco to Spain
because she described her home as 'Western Sahara' on an airport
landing card, rather than 'Moroccan Sahara'.

Since then she has been on a hunger strike, demanding the return of
her passport and free access to her home country.

Please take two minutes to send an email to the Moroccan authorities
via Amnesty International (requires registration):

http://tinyurl.com/save-aminatou

To write your own email, please see the Western Sahara Campaign suggestions=
:

http://tinyurl.com/aminatou-WSC

For more details:

AFP story, 10 December:
http://tinyurl.com/aminatou-10-Dec

Democracy Now!, 1 December:
http://tinyurl.com/aminatou-1-Dec

Bio:
http://tinyurl.com/aminatou-biography

-----

1) PN Winter Gathering

15 =96 17 JANUARY, NOTTINGHAM
PEACE NEWS WINTER GATHERING

... followed by mass nonviolent direct action against a local arms
trade company, organised by the participants, on Monday 18 January
(arrestable and non-arrestable roles available).
www.peacenewsgathering.info

Join people from across the spectrum of the British peace movement for
a weekend of exploration, celebration and empowerment - learning from
other movements, struggling with challenging issues, and creating
greater cohesion and solidarity in a segmented peace movement.

Highlights include:

> Report back from the Gaza Freedom March (www.gazafreedommarch.org)
> Building for the February blockade at Aldermaston (http://blockawe.blogsp=
ot.com/)
> No Borders report on recent immigrant solidarity campaigning in Calais
> Radical climate change activism after Copenhagen
> Workshops with Seeds for Change (www.seedsforchange.org.uk)
> Contributions from Milan Rai and Emily Johns of JNV (also co-editors of P=
eace News)

Vegan food (from the wonderful Veggies - www.veggies.org.uk) and
accommodation available. Book your place today:
www.peacenewsgathering.info

Organised by Peace News in conjunction with Nottingham Students Peace
Movement (http://nspm.wordpress.com) and Notts Anti-Militarism
(http://nottsantimilitarism.wordpress.com).

-----

2) Support Joe Glenton

WRITE TO AFGHAN WAR RESISTER JOE GLENTON

Lance Corporal Joe Glenton =96 the British soldier accused of desertion
for refusing to serve in Afghanistan =96 has a court hearing on 16
December, to decide if he can be released from prison to spend
Christmas with his family.

Stop the War have called a picket of the hearing: 16 December, 9.30am,
OJAD, 81 Chancery Lane, London WC22A 1BQ.

Send postcards of support to: Joe Glenton, Military Corrective
Training Centre, Berechurch Hall Camp, Colchester, Essex CO2 9NU.

Join Military Families Against the War=92s vigil on 21 December, when
they will be handing in their =91Bring the Troops Home=92 petition at
Downing Street. 5pm, Downing Street (http://tinyurl.com/ydl7wtr). Sign
the petition: http://bit.ly/10gDKb

More info: www.stopwar.org.uk

-----

3) Remember Gaza actions

GAZA MASSACRE ANNIVERSARY: CALL FOR ACTION

27 December 2009 - 18 January 2010 marks the first anniversary of
Israel=92s brutal assault against the besieged people of Gaza. The
22-day attack left more than 1,400 dead, the vast majority of them
civilians, including nearly 400 children, destroying 3,600 homes and
displacing 50,000. The Israeli siege of Gaza continues.

Actions to mark the anniversary include:

ington, W8, http://tinyurl.com/yhaonl2),

> 22 days of =91Waging Peace=92 in Manchester (http://tinyurl.com/yfy8kps),

> Smash EDO=92s =93Remember Gaza=94 action in Brighton on 18 January (www.s=
mashedo.org.uk),

The Free Gaza movement (www.freegaza.org) is also calling on groups to:

>> organise screenings of =91To Shoot an Elephant=92 (2009) =96 an award-wi=
nning documentary shot during the attack, detailing war crimes and the impa=
ct on ordinary people, journalists and paramedics (www.toshootanelephant.co=
m)

)

>> and take direct action against their local occupation and apartheid prof=
iteer (http://tinyurl.com/yztb2lg)

Donations to Free Gaza for their next siege-breaking mission in early
2010 can be made at http://www.freegaza.org/en/donate

-----

4) Climate Camp London

5=9618 DECEMBER:
COP OUT CAMP OUT

Join the Climate Camp in Trafalgar Square...
because it's business as usual in Copenhagen

Climate Camp is currently occupying Trafalgar Square. The Camp will
hold the space for the entire conference (ie. until 18 December),
reclaiming one the busiest locations in the world to push for genuine
solutions to climate change. So, if you're not off to Copenhagen then
this is the place you need to be. Bring your tent, warm clothes, and
ideas for action!

What to bring: a tent, warm and waterproof clothes. Oh, and all your friend=
s!

Wish list: Vegan food, blankets, tarps, pallets, party/frame tents,
cardboard, banners, big water bottles + anything else you think may be
helpful...

More info: http://climatecamp.org.uk/

-----

Justice Not Vengeance  -  www.j-n-v.org  -  01424 428 792  -  07980 748 555